The least of the problems we want to experience are those that concern the eyes. But when the optic nerve becomes damaged, the eyes could acquire a condition known as glaucoma. This disease damages the way the optic nerve delivers images from the retina and into the brain. If the damage continues, glaucoma will lead to permanent vision loss.
Although glaucoma does not exhibit noticeable signs and symptoms most of the time, there could be warning signs that indicate your need for a visit to the eye doctor. These signs include:
- Double vision
- Trouble adjusting to seeing in dark environments
- Increased sensitivity to glare or light that you squint or blink
- Changing of the color of the iris
- Dark spots in the center of vision
- Swollen, red-rimmed, or encrusted eyelids
- Excessive tearing of the eyes
- Burning or itching sensations accompanied by dry eyes
- Seeing ghost-like images or spots
- Difficulty focusing on either distant or near objects
It is also best to seek immediate professional help once you experience the following symptoms:
- Sudden vision loss in an eye
- Black spots or flashes of light in sight
- Halos around light that may appear like rainbows
- Sudden blurriness or haziness of vision
Although these symptoms do not immediately make you a victim of glaucoma, it is imperative that you seek immediate professional advice once you experience one or more of them. Your eye doctor can identify your condition after a thorough assessment and glaucoma eye exams.
Glaucoma Eye Exams in Wailuku
Never ignore the signs and symptoms of glaucoma. For more information on this eye disease and to know if you have it, give us a call today at at (808) 877-3984 or fill out this online contact form to request an appointment with one of our eye experts here at Aloha Eye Clinic.