If you’ve walked through your local drug store lately, you’ve undoubtedly been inundated by the quantity of contact lenses solutions and eye care products available. While it can certainly be confusing to navigate, it’s critical to figure out the right product for your particular contact lens prescription.
The good news is that lens care is now easier than ever. The combination of disposable lenses and one-step cleaning solutions has helped simplify the process. However, it’s important to remember to never switch cleaning routines without first speaking with us.
Regardless of your current routine, there are a few basic tips that you should keep in mind every time you handle your lenses. We’ve outlined them for you here.
- Without exception, wash your hands before you handle your lenses every time. It’s important not to transfer existing dirt and germs between your contacts and your eyes. Whenever possible, avoid moisturizing soaps and lotions – they’re not good for your contact lenses. Use a lint-free towel for drying your hands.
- Using the recommended solution, remove one lens and rub it in the palm of your hand with just a few drops of the liquid. Perform this step even if you are using a “no-rub” product, as rubbing the lens helps remove debris that may make your lens uncomfortable later.
- Rinse the lens with the solution to removed the dirt you just loosened. Take your time with this step, there’s no rush.
- Place the lens in a clean holder and fill with new solution. Never “top-off” old solution. This step is important for disinfecting lenses and killing any micro-organisms that might linger on the lens.
- Finally, repeat with the other lens.
There are so many products on the market and so many options for keeping your contact lenses clean and your eyes healthy. Regardless of your process, it’s important to follow our recommendations. If you have questions about your lens care or want to change your procedure, please give us a call!
Is it time for your regular exam to update your contact lens prescription? We’re happy to help. Schedule an appointment today!