Did you know that two out of three people with impaired vision are women? Research shows that the “fairer sex” is more likely to develop serious eye disease. This goes beyond the fact that women tend to outlive their male counterparts. In fact, there are several factors at play. The good news is there are simple ways to mitigate these factors to lower your risk of eye problems as you age.
- Reduce your risk of macular degeneration and cataracts by consuming leafy greens like kale and spinach on a regular basis. These foods contain zeaxanthin and lutein, which feed the eyes.
- Macular degeneration and cataracts are also reduced with flavinoids found in citrus fruits and tea.
- Research shows that foods rich in beta-carotene, including kale, spinach, and carrots, can lower the risk of macular degeneration.
Treating your Eyes Right
There are several aspects of treating your eyes right, including how you monitor eye health, how you protect your eyes, and how you live.
- Smoking affects general health, including eye health. There is a significant rise in cataracts and macular degeneration among smokers.
- Family history affects eye health. Know yours.
- Talk with your eye doctor about other risks to your vision and eye health, such as obesity, age, and diabetes.
Approximately 500,000 eye injuries occur each year. A large majority of them are preventable. Some of the ways you can protect yourself from inadvertent injury include:
- Wear protective lenses when working in the garden, house, or workshop. Flying debris can scratch or injure the eye’s surface.
- Replace cosmetics on a regular basis to prevent bacteria from getting into the eye via outdated products.
- Wear contact lenses only according to manufacture instructions.
We encourage our patients to visit us once a year for a routine eye exam. Many of the diseases that threaten vision occur gradually and without warning signs. An eye exam is often the only way to detect problems that could lead to long-term damage.
Aloha Eye Clinic offers friendly service to families from Kihei, Wailuku, and everywhere in between! Schedule your visit with us today.